Thursday, May 31, 2012

Chapters 5 and 6

Chapter 5 starts out with the mention of recipe sizes and organ meats.  I was a bit surprised at the addition of organ meats, I suppose because in this country not many eat them.  Sure, some folks eat liver, but I think it safe to say more do not.  I've made homemade liver treats for my dogs but never thought to add it to their daily meals.  

Ok, so as I read on, I'm again getting excited to reach the recipe stage of the book - I want meals for my dogs!  Then I read that there are separate recipes for "lightly" cooked - I really want to feed only cooked foods to my dogs.  After all, my biggest fear with commercial kibble is E Coli or Salmonella - raw meat would be very easily contaminated in my opinion.  I read on so I can learn, and discover that the authors have you make "batches" of food that mixed together at meal time equals an entire meal.  The batches include meat, organs and vegetable/fruits.  You make these batches separately then either mix all together, or store separately and mix for each meal.   This makes sense since in a frozen state, meat keeps better long-term  than vegetables do.  So we end chapter 5 knowing that each meal includes meat mix, veggie/fruit mix, bone meal or bone, mineral and vitamin supplement, and fatty acid supplement (may not be every meal).  On to the recipes!

The recipes are divided into sections for species, as well as type and whether cooked or uncooked.  The recipes themselves aren't too difficult and there are portion sized recipes as well which makes it easier when making food for tiny animals. This area is where you understand why you need a grinder.  Some of the recipes call for ground turkey (large, heavier duty grinder) or whole chicken.  Whole means just that - you grind the bones with the meat.  You do not cook the recipes that include the ground bone.  

The authors also give a couple recipes for a homemade mineral/vitamin mix, 2 each for dogs and cats, depending on how you choose to feed.  

This book is full of information - for me, too full.  While some may really get into the scales, ratios, and charts, I simply want to read a recipe that is nutritionally sound, and make it.  If you're the type of person that wants to know the "why" of what you are adding and blending, this book will be right up your alley.  There is in-depth explanations, and charts galore.  On the other hand, if you're the type that just wants to follow some easy directions and make your dog or cat a meal that is healthy, wholesome and tastes great to them - this may not be quite what you were looking for.  As with most things, the appeal will vary.  For this reader, it was simply TMI  when I wanted KISS.

Reading on,

Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment